Fort Myers Firefighters remind you of the following kid safety tips:
Firefighters Are Your Friends
During a house fire, smoke will cause the house to become very dark. The firefighters will look for you. Firefighters wear special equipment so they can help you. Remember, no matter how scared you are: Do Not Hide From a Firefighter. Firefighters are there to help you. They will lead you out of the fire to a safe place.
Stop, Drop & Roll
Do you know what to do if your clothes catch on fire?
- Stop immediately.
- Drop to the ground.
- Roll over and over, back and forth, and cover your face and mouth.
Roll until all the flames are out. Practice Stop, Drop and Roll so you won't forget it in case of an emergency. You can practice with your family, even your grandparents. Stop, Drop and Roll is not just for kids.
Exit Drills In The Home (EDITH)
Quick, close your eyes. Do you know 2 ways out of the room you are in right now?
If a fire breaks out in your home, it is important that every member of the family knows what to do. So have a fire escape drill at home!
- Start by asking your parents to help you make a home fire escape plan.
- Your family can sit down together and draw a floor plan of your house.
- Use the floor plan to clearly mark 2 ways out of every room. Also, put a big X where the smoke detector is located.
- After the drawing is complete, decide where each member of the family will meet outside.
- Then practice, practice, practice until you can do the drill with your eyes closed.
Make this a family project and have fun with it. Knowing what to do when a fire breaks out can save your life.
Kid Resources (Links & Printable Materials)
Below are great learning resources from the National Fire Protection Agency. Download and print the individual resources below.
Coloring & Activity Books
- Let's Have Fun With Fire Safety (English) (PDF)
- Let's Have Fun With Fire Safety (Spanish) (PDF)
Publications (for Printing)
- Get to Know Smoke Alarms
- Escape Planning Grid
- Be Fire Safe in the Kitchen